Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Penny Farthing

     As I was pulling out a fistful of coins to pay for my sub par bagel at Lee's this morning, I noticed a shiny new penny in the pile.  I took a closer look and discovered that the penny had been newly minted in 2010.  What's more, the design was also brand new, hence to me unfamiliar.  When did this occur?  I'd like to take a picture of it, macro, a penny instead of the stamen and pistil of an orchid, for once, but alas I do not have a working digital camera.  "A king without a sword!  A land without a king!"  
     I like the new design, something reminiscent of either the Roman Phalanx or the US Olympic Skiing logo.  I haven't seen the penny's design modernized in my lifetime, so it is indeed a Major American Event.  I salute the American government!  I salute the U.S. Mint!  I spent the other coins on my onion bagel toasted with butter from Lee's around the corner from Embarcadero 1, but I held on to my shiny new copper penny.  Good luck charm for challenging times in American society.  I will try to post a picture soon.  Everyone should have a look.  It may provide much needed perspective on the Present Day.
     Breakfast for me early this morning consisted of a thick slice of my homemade Right Bread, toasted and buttered, and spread over with organic apricot fruit preserve.  I picked up a new brand of preserve yesterday afternoon at Rainbow Coop Vegetarian market, my favorite spot for produce and dairy, cheese, salsa, dry goods, tea, soap, chocolate, nuts, olive oil, honey,  etcetera.  I love this store.  It's great.  I typically spend much more time than originally planned meandering about the co-op, looking at this vegetable, investigating that instrument, sniffing fruit, weighing bulk heirloom beans, or just look-seeing.  Generally milling about the nutritional supplement or kitchen utensil aisles.  It is indeed a cherished SF pastime, to get lost in Rainbow Coop.  Time well spent out of the wind, cold, rain, away from the red meat chewing general public. I'd like to post pictures of my purchases along with other lists and measures.  Perhaps once I have the proper instrumentation.
     

No comments: