Thursday, June 2, 2011

Sunnyside Street

    

      Is it the second, or third, day of my unemployment?  Sit quietly, try to remember.  It has been a mysterious week.  [Moving forward]  A puzzling week-not because I have a puzzle of objectivity set before me and am unable to solve it.  I am within the puzzle, suddenly.  So early this week, on the first of a month, in a morning on the sixth floor of a glass and steel pediment, before a crackerjack woman bejewelled in as seen pure precious metals, whose pauses are emptying, stretched out in time, enigmatic, with silence that is not eloquent, not morose.  I did not blink, and then at once see that I am in Caracas, or atop Mt. Apu, or in a Polanski film, or in a buried coffin.  My objective view did not change.  I blinked, observed the formalities set down neatly on a table, signed, signed, initialed, signed.  She rose and led me down a naked hall to the elevator, would not shake my hand I had a cold, and I was swallowed up and descending.  The world remained the same, continued with its day, and that Roland continued with it. I shall never discover what will become of him. Puzzle entered.  Puzzle has made his bed in my apartment today while I wasn't looking, while I turn pages on the sinking couch, my toes pawing the threads of our woven oval rug.  I am  five again, but i my little hands this church organ has been broken into much more than five thousand pieces.  It's pipes are played in pillow buns, the breath shallow, even, inaudible.





No comments: