Monday, November 11, 2013

11.11.13

I found this full sized fully dressed dummy on the construction site at Dolores & Market street late the other night.  It was very eerie to see because of its size, which gives you a sense that he is life like.  He seemed like a dead man slumped over on the corner at night.  The feeling confuses, tricks, and fascinates all at once.  For these reasons, and for the way the images looks visually shredded, but tonal as well, I had to make the picture.

Here is an image from the Recology disposal facility.  If you have refuse to dispose of, you haul it here, back it into a space, and dump everything onto huge piles of trash.  It is dusty, it smells, it is loud, and it is vast.  You can look into an adjacent CostCo like space and see an immense mountain of garbage.  This is why seagulls constantly flock above this facility.  But you can also see collections of objects that workers have salvaged and placed along the nearby hillside - a sculpture garden of discarded things.

As I waited for The Marriage of Figaro opera to begin, I snapped what was in front of me.  I like the colors here, as well as the graphic quality of the set.  The old man's bald head provides an audience - a set of eyes beside my own that has come to be entertained by the spectacle, or to be moved by the music and singing.

 
Here is a woman sleeping on Bart.  I've been taking a series of Bart riders since I began relying on the trains myself.  I find my rides enjoyable because I can see the people, observe their behavior, sometimes eavesdrop, and sometimes draw portraits, if I am discreet about it.  So many different faces I see on a daily basis.  My eyes feast on what enters its field.



No comments: