Thursday, November 7, 2013

drawings_11.7.13

This man sat across from me on a Bart ride home a few nights ago.  His thick black plastic glasses initially caught my eye, followed by his goatee whose dark silhouette resembles a whiskery peace sign.  I enjoyed drawing this fellow, & am happy with this portrait.

I had an hour to kill & decided to sit in Cafe Soleil and draw whatever I find before my eyes.  I started with the fellow sitting on a stool at the counter.  He wore black from shoulder to toe.  The bearded man on the right wore a black beret.

This drawing was more challenging but I was happy about certain elements-the bow tie, the bench, some of the folds.  My drawings of musicians are more involving due to all the movement.  I piece the image together - a visual puzzle that sometimes blends well.

This fellow sat facing to the right on Bart.  Though a bike supported his arm,  I decided not to include it.  A few days later, my orchid dropped its 3 flowers.  I loved their wilted state and wanted to draw them.  The idea of dangling a wilted flower from the hand in this drawing worked well to my eye, and it helped improve a poor drawing.

Last night, I listened to a piano recital at the sfcm.  I did not begin drawing until the final of four pianists performed.  The jewel in her hair drew me, as well as the two long straight locks of black hair framing her face on each temple.  For some reason, I failed to achieve a visual understanding of her face.  Instead, I began doodling-

No comments: